Monday, February 14, 2011

I've Got Peace Like A River

Feb. 12/11

The world has seen many times of war, sadness and dark days. Through ever-changing ways and progressing years, humanity has somehow got by. When the war is over, the famine fed, flood waters receded and we can take a breath again comes the time of peace and restoration. It's silly, but when I was a little girl, I thought all the kings, sultans and emperors should just sit down to tea and work things out like civilized men. I've since realized that tea parties don't solve the world's problems, but they sure are fun!

In my own life, there's been no war, famine, drought or floods, but I've seen each too often in the news. I haven't known any men or women who've not come home from war, but I thank them for fighting for the freedom I have and for future generations. I have however lost people I know and love to the 'Big C', accidents and old age. Death has left behind widows, widowers and orphans. For those who remain, we must carry on living and walk on towards peace.

I don't have all the answers to ease the world's pain, just the opportunity to share the ones I've found. When I remember, the pain is still there a bit, but time has brought healing and I can say I've found peace like a river. Rivers can start off as a gentle stream, then bubble over the rocks of a new brook. Continuing on, the banks swell and surge. On the surface things may still be in a raging turmoil, but underneath there is a strong, sure current.

I can't remember where I heard it, but someone once said, "What is life if we haven't got love, and what is love if we haven't anybody to share it with?" Or something along those lines. One of my answers to peace is having people who love me and have experienced losses like my own help me along. People who have gone through their own pain joining together to form a mighty, rushing river of peace.

No comments: