Wednesday, February 09, 2011

Making Lemonade

When life gives you lemons, you make lemonade. Or lemon meringue pie! Today I had to somehow suck up my strength and get through the day. I came down with a cold on the weekend, and was hit hard today. In this case, when life gives you a sore throat, runny nose, coughing, aching, fever, sneezing batch of lemons, you reach for the Kleenex. Since that's a specific brand, I guess I should just leave it at "facial tissues". I thought of taking a picture of the contents of my garbage can, mostly tissues, but that's not something the public internet world needs to see. You get the idea.  The thing that bothers me the most about being sick is I get so cold! I normally have the heat higher than the average person, but desperate times call for space heaters and extra layers of clothes. If I could be sick, but stay warm, I wouldn't mind as much. Of course, there's the whole being sick part that's not much fun either.

When I was little, I didn't mind it so much. I stayed home from school a lot with various illnesses, both real and imagined. I did have some pretty good ones in there, like appendicitis. Oh, wait that happened during the summer and I didn't miss any school for that one. I need to work on my timing! Now that I'm older, I don't enjoy it so much. Being sick, not fun. Missing work and not getting paid for a day that I was awake for anyways, major stress factor. Having a foreseeable financial goal (school) makes the income more valuable.

My head is full of mucus-y pressure, my body is aching and I've got slippers, three shirts, a blanket wrapped around me and the electric fireplace going. I've been staring at the screen trying to think of intelligent things to say, but this is all I've got so far. Here's hoping tomorrow is a better day.

Gesundheit! I just learned this doesn't mean "Bless you", but "Health". Irony strikes again.

No comments: